Support for 3D Mice as input device

Are there any plans to allow the use of 3D input devices. I use a 3D Connexion mouse for CAD work and thought it might be useful for articulating the models.

1 Like

John (@johnstockton),

yes, there are plans and I just made a +1 for you on that feature request. There are quite some users that asked for 3D mouse support such that it was added to the product roadmap but still not that many that it made it to the top of the priority list. How crucial would you say is it for your simulation work? From the discussions with users and our own experience I would say that the added value of 3D mice for design work is larger than it is for simulation work as the interaction with the model is not that intense, would you agree? Nevertheless, this is definitely on the roadmap and I’ll give you a heads-up once we have a release date for it.

Best,

David

1 Like

Thank-you David! I’d say at this point it is a “nice to have” as opposed to a “must have”. Most of us designers are just used to navigating with one hand and giving commands with the other. The need to navigate with the “instruction” mouse does change the flow - but I agree, it is less important with simulation. There are other simulation enhancements that I am sure would come ahead.

1 Like

@johnstockton absolutely agreed! I’ll keep you posted, once the first 3D mice are supported!

1 Like

Support for a 3D mouse is way, way overdue. I agree that users can work around the annoyance, but it makes the software seem underdeveloped and clunky . . . especially when you are running multiple iterations and jumping back and forth between your CAD software and Simscale.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @rwbeckett!

Will forward your query to my colleagues from the product team :slight_smile:

Take care!

Jousef