Help with mesh for multiphase simulation

Hi,

I’m attempting to set-up a multiphase (air-water) simulation of a planing hull moving through water. I have created and imported the geometry from Rhino as a .stp file. I’ve made rough attempts to create an automatic hex-dominant mesh but the results were not very good. I’ve attached a link of the project if anyone is willing to assist me on the issues that might be causing this. What are the basic initial steps that a required to generate a mesh for this type of problem?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi @Costanza,

You’re going well in the initial steps in terms of geometry and surface refinement but I suggest you to try to generate a mesh with the hex-dominant parametric algorithm. There you can create surface and region reffinements. SimScale has a public project that can help you.

• [CFD Simulation of Floating Boat with 6DoF under Wave]

Try copying the mesh parameters to your project and let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,

Vinícius

1 Like

Hi Vinicius,

Thank you for your reply. I’ve attempted to copy the parameters from the tutorial link you provided. The result was still not very good but I am doing a bit of trial and error to see if I can improve on it. I’m unsure that I have the right file format. Should i be using .stl format?

I understand that the base mesh box has a large influence on results? When selecting a mesh for the simulation, is the bounding volume neglected? I’ve tried to keep the same ratio for x,y,z as stipulated in the documentation and attempted to make the refinements to surfaces and edges.

I’ve attached the link again and as I said I’m still working to resolve the mesh.

Cheers

Hi @Costanza,

If your file format fits the options provided by SimScale, there is no doubt about it.
Taking a close look at your project and I’ll give you a feedback asap.

Cheers,

Vinícius

Hi @Costanza,

Try to do your analysis with this mesh. It’s called NewMesh.
Please let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Vinícius

3 Likes

Hi Vinicius,

Apologies for the delay and thank you so much for the mesh! Started a new job and moved house recently so haven’t been able to make any further progress. Will let you know.

Cheers