Help in Radiator meshing for Conjugate Heat transfer

Hi
I am trying to mesh a radiator which contains 3 regions (air, water and aluminum) for conjugate heat transfer.

I tried using the mesh setup as this project
but I get an error and at the end of the meshing log which says “Failed to identify mesh interfaces. Review your mesh settings.”
Thanks

Hi @MarwanEssam!

For CHT meshing, one primary requirement is that the solid and fluid bodies should be touching each other, but not overlapping! Have you had any issues with the identification of the interfaces before?

Cheers!

Jousef

1 Like

Hi @MarwanEssam,

Referring to your meshing log,

Finished meshing with 35920 illegal faces (concave, zero area or negative cell pyramid volume)
Finished meshing in = 24.44 s.
End
Finalising parallel run
Detecting interfaces between regions…
Failed to identify mesh interfaces. Review your mesh settings.

There are a number of illegal faces which means you need to take a closer look at your geometry and you might need to clean it up or simplify it. As for the meshing, maybe try meshing with just the radiator geometry (that is watertight and cleaned up) configuration. It is likely having issues due to the fact that you already have a bounding box over the entire radiator (unless the box is part of the radiator configuration?) that is causing possible issues. The mesher will provide a bounding box so you don’t have to make one yourself.

Assuming that the box is part of the radiator configuration, try selecting Create CellZone under the mesh refinements and see how that works out.

Do let me know how it goes!

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

2 Likes

Hi @Get_Barried
Thanks for your help.
I removed the box from the geometry and tried to simplify it.
After meshing a big part of the solid body is missing.
Here is the solid body geometry

and this is the solid body after meshing

Any idea what to do?
Thanks.

Hi @MarwanEssam,

I see you have managed to get it meshing! The previous issue you encountered is due to the material point intersecting with the geometry. You never want that to happen as the material point allows the solver to know which domain is where, hence the need for a watertight geometry.

Good luck for the simulation!

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

1 Like