Heat Transfer (error: overconstrained nodes)

Hi all. For this question, we are given known temperature values at the 4 sides of a copper plate, and are tasked to find the temperature distribution within the plate.

However, when setting the boundary conditions on the 4 surfaces, I realised that there is an overlap of boundary conditions at the 4 corners of the square, causing an error of “over-constraint nodes” each time I run the simulation. I want both the upper and lower LEFT corners to follow the temperature of the left surface (75deg), and the two corners on the RIGHT to follow that of the right surface (50deg). How may I resolve this?

Here is the link to my project: SimScale

Thank you!

Hey there, and thanks for using the forum!

This is an over-idealized model, because actually in real life you wouldn’t be able to apply two different temperatures at any one of the corners.

A quick solution would be to break the corners with a small chamfer, such that there are no shared nodes between adjacent faces. This should avoid the error, and not to have a big impact on the results, as you are interested in the solution within the plate.

1 Like