'Heat sink-Electronics cooling' simulation project by sjesu_rajendra

I created a new simulation project called 'Heat sink-Electronics cooling':

Heat sink for electronic cooling application

More of my public projects can be found here.

Description

The past few decades have observed a sizeable advancement in electronics, which has caused them to consume more power as well as heat up to a greater extent. As a result, cooling has become an integral part of electronics design. Oftentimes, heat sinks are used for this purpose. Fundamentally, a heat sink is a passive heat exchanger that transfers the heat generated by an electronic or a mechanical device to a fluid medium. This fluid is usually air or a liquid coolant that carries away heat radiated by the device, thereby regulating the temperature of the device.

In practice, a heat sink is designed such that it can dissipate the maximum amount of heat. This can be done by increasing the surface area of the heat sink that is in contact with the air. For the choice of material, it would be best to employ a material that has a high thermal conductivity. A finite element simulation with numerical results would give us a better idea of the performance of different designs and materials.

Project Goals

This project aims to simulate the cooling effect produced by a heat sink in action. A thermodynamic analysis has been performed of a regular heat sink used for electronics cooling. The results of the simulation can be utilized to affect design modifications in the heat sink such that maximum heat is withdrawn from the circuit board/device.

Geometry

The geometry for the current project is shown below:

Meshes

A Hex-dominant Parametric (only CFD) mesh was used to generate the mesh for the 4 volumes (3 solids and 1 fluid). This mesh is later refined, maintaining the volumes as different regions to later define interfaces. At the end of the meshing, we have four different regions.

Simulations

In this case, we have the air flow at room temperature, two heated electronic chips and a heat sink at an intermediate temperature. A laminar, steady-state simulation is carried out using the Conjugate Heat Transfer solver.

CHT allows the simulation of the heat transfer between Solid and Fluid domains by exchanging thermal energy at the interfaces between them. Moreover, this analysis type eliminates the need for the heat transfer coefficient. The typical applications of CHT include simulating heat exchangers, cooling of electronic equipment, and general-purpose heating/cooling systems.

Results and Conclusions

The following pictures show some post-processing performed on SimScale platform and also locally using ParaView. The heated regions and the areas of recirculation may be observed in the imaged below.

Temperature Contours:

Temperature Streamlines:

Velocity Streamlines:

Hi Rajendra,

I am new to this software.I have to do thermal simulation for cooling of PCB.Can you please send me the step by step procedure for the same.

Hi @himanshu_makwa,

Glad to have you working with SimScale!! Please refer the following CHT mesh and CHT simulation tutorials for getting started with cases involving temperature changes between fluid and solid regions.

Best,
Sam

can we perform a passive cooling analysis(bouyancy driven flow modeling and heat transfer)?

@kiran_kanimetl,

Sure, you can perform a natural convection flow case in SimScale.

Sam

Hi. Could you transfer this case into a free convection case by changing the inlet BC? In that case, what type should that be? Pressure without gradient?

Thanks