Error when creating the mesh

Hi,

I am new to Simscale and am currently trying to model a dynamic impact test of a portable charger I have designed . I have imported the charger and rectangle shape to mimic the ground that it would be impacting with.

When I try and create the mesh I keep getting this error,

‘A fatal IO (Input/Output) error has occurred while the mesh or the simulation was running.’

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea why this isn’t working.

portable charger simulation | SimScale Workbench
here is a link to the project

Hey there, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for making use of this great resource.

I just had a look at your model and found some interference between the screws and the back cover:

The model should not have any interference, this way the meshing algorithm can work correctly.

Also, I would suggest you to simplify those screws, for example:

• Remove them if you do not really need them
  • Simplify them to a cylinder and cone head (remove threads and head detail).

You could also reduce the ‘floor’ size to save on mesh size and computation time.

Please let me know if this helped!

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply, it seems like the problem is still happening. I removed the screws and made the ground smaller. Unsure what to do next?

Calum

Hi @wardencalum,

From the meshing log, the issue is that the maximum precision of the model is very high (greater than the small feature suppression currently applied):

A quick way out here is to define a larger value for the small feature suppression (e.g. 1e-4):

Cheers

Hi,

That has worked for the mesh, thanks!

Only problem now is that when I go into the post-processing animation it is not animating the two parts actually colliding. Also if I want to see the stresses over the whole body when they collide do I have to select the whole body as the physical contact?

Calum