'Drop Capsule 1' simulation project by C0YL3

I created a new simulation project called 'Drop Capsule 1':

To design a sensor capsule to be dropped into a volcano.

More of my public projects can be found here.

I like that model and simulation @C0YL3!

Just a small tip from my side: Increase the bounding box domain and you will see that pressure, velocity values etc. will change! At the moment it is a bit too small!

Best,

Jousef

Thanks @jousefm !

By bounding box domain do you mean the size of the wind tunnel? It is currently 1m x 1m x 2m overall, or do you mean something else?

Many Thanks,

Conor

Hi Conor (@C0YL3)!

Yes, exactly! I would increase its size because a small bounding box will definitely affect your results.

Best,

Jousef

@jousefm , can you suggest a size that may be more appropriate and I shall be sure to try it. I also have set the BC of the tunnel walls as slip, and the object as no-slip. Is this correct?

Many Thanks,

Conor

Hi @C0YL3!

That’s okay. For the domain size I would go 3-5 lengths in longitudinal direction maybe and for the width maybe 2 lengths and try it out - you can increase and decrease the domain and do a small study to see how the pressure and velocity behaves. :wink:

Cheers!

Jousef

Hi @jousefm

Many thanks for your help, I will be sure to try this!

Best regards,

Conor

@jousefm I was wondering if you can help me again, I am trying to out put the data of pressure and velocity at each position as a .csv file, do you know if I can do that straight from simscale or do I have to download Paraview? I am struggling to get results from Paraview and also it keeps crashing when I try and open.
Thanks

Hi @C0YL3!

You can extract the .csv-files in the workbench by selecting for instance the result control item you want to download. Attached a picture that shows where to find the option.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Jousef

Hi @jousefm

That is very useful to know, thank you!

I don’t have an area averages section like you do. The data I am looking for is to get the velocity magnitude and pressure at as many points along a line, for example the x axis, do you know how I might go about that?

Thanks again,

Conor

Hi @C0YL3!

That is because you have to define those output items first! For the purpose of getting the pressure and velocity along a line I would recommend to use the offline version of Paraview which allows you to do more sophisticated post-processing.

Cheers!

Jousef

Hi @jousefm !

I have tried all of that, but the problem I am having is that whenever I press save or open or save data in paraview the program freezes and I have to close it, I have tried reinstalling but get the same problem

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Conor

Hi @C0YL3!

An alternative would be Tecplot but I am not sure how familiar you are with that.

Cheers!

Jousef

Hi @jousefm

Again I am right with you there haha, I have experience with tecplot but as far as I am aware it will not import the .foam file, I am unsure of how to convert it.

Thanks again,

Conor

Hi @C0YL3!

Think only a beta version exists that is able to load OF files. Another way would be to go via EnSight and then loading it into Tecplot but that’s an overkill in my opinion :smiley: Is your machine too slow for Paraview or does it drop a message? :thinking:

Cheers!

Jousef

I think it could be my machine, but if I select the case file in my documents and select open with paraview I can load it up and get outputs perfectly, but when I press anything on the file menu, namely save data for a csv output, the top toolbar of file, help, tools, etc goes from a black font colour to the grey one where you cant select anything. You can move the mouse fine but then just can’t select anything. Don’t get a message.

@jousefm

Thanks again for all your help

Very disappointing! :thinking:

Do you have access to another machine? And by the way: What do you want to do with the offline Paraview version? Maybe SimScale is capable of the task you want to perform.

Cheers!

Jousef

Hi @jousefm !

This sort of data is useful for flow investigaton, also some sort of pressure distribution graph around the shape would be very useful. I obviously can’t get the .csv out. It would be really useful to work out the total drag on an object for example but I dont know if simscale can run or give this?

Cheers

Conor

Hi @C0YL3!

For the offline version you can use this post: Drag Coefficient Determination and on SimScale you can also have the option to get the drag coefficient, please see this post from me: Lift & Drag. Hope that helps you a bit :slight_smile:

Best,

Jousef

Hi @jousefm

I am going to try your Results control method, but my object is only one face all the way round it, is that still okay? Also what inputs am I meant to put in there are inputs for x y and z so I’m assuming position and just 0,0,0 as the centre of the object?

Cheers