'DESIGN AND VERIFICATION OF 150 TONNAGE TRAVERSER BED FOR RAIL APPLICATIONS.' simulation project by srirams

I created a new simulation project called 'DESIGN AND VERIFICATION OF 150 TONNAGE TRAVERSER BED FOR RAIL APPLICATIONS.':

Objective : It is also called as Traverser. It consists of a single length of track that can be moved from side to side, in a direction perpendicular to the track. There are often multiple tracks on one side of the table and a single or multiple tracks on the other. Application : They are often found in yards with locomotive maintenance facilities. The table allows a shed with multiple stalls for locomotives or carriages to be served by a single track, without the need for points that could take up a much larger area. Traverser were used at stage by stage work movement of Locomotives in Production and Maintenance Plant.

More of my public projects can be found here.

@srirams - great project - interested in seeing the progress!

I quickly checked on your CAD model. A reason for the meshing failure might be the intersections of the model:

A boolean operation fusing all those parts might help!

Best,

David

@Dheiny Yes ! Sir Noted

Depending on which CAD system you use, it might have a “Detect intersection” operation that you could use for that. E.g. I know that SOLIDWORKS has one. Then meshing should go smooth!

Sir ! I’m using NX 10 for modelling.

@dheiny I have already uploaded the clean geometry after your comment.

@srirams,

are you sure you used a boolean operation to “unify” those intersecting parts? To me they still look intersecting. To make a first sim run, in case of doubt, just fuse the whole assembly and run a sim. You can introduce contacts later.

Best,

David

@Mr. David I have done the Boolean operation in NX and I have checked the interference clearance analysis.
There is No interference in model. Meshing makes time due to 180 components and size & curvature.

@srirams - ah, you’re right. The meshing actually fails due to the machine having not enough memory for computation:

Simply bump up the number of cores (e.g. to 8 or 16)! Let’s see if the mesh will be created.

Hey @srirams,

the automatic meshing takes the geometrical details into account. That means already a coarse mesh turns out to have a lot of elements as the geometry is thin and consists of a lot of solids. So creating a fine mesh will take extremely long. I Would recommend you start using a coarser mesh in the beginning. See an example here:

https://www.simscale.com/projects/afischer/design_and_verification_of_150_tonnage_traverser_bed_for_rail_applications-

Best Alex