Creating a mesh on an uploaded STL format model

Is there any way for me to mesh my STL model that I have uploaded, so that I can proceed with FEA?
I obtained it from another researcher and I desperately need to find a way to perform FEA to complete my project within the next week or two…
Sorry for the short notice…hope this is possible.
Link to my project:

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Craig Martis

Hi @cmartis,

Welcome to the SimScale forum and thanks for posting your question. As STLs only contain surface information, they can not be used to generate a volume mesh, necessary to run an FEA simulation. Is it possible for you to get the geometry as a STEP file?

Best,
Anna

Hi Craig (@cmartis),

I have another possibility for you.

Using Gmsh I was able to take your stl surface mesh and generate a 3D volume mesh. This can then be exported to a med file and imported into SimScale.

Here is what it looks like after the import. It is sectioned to show the internal elements.

If you use this approach you will need to define all the surfaces you want to use for loads and constraints prior to bringing it into SimScale. To be honest, I’m not sure how to do this when starting with an stl file. Hopefully somebody else can help you out here.

Here are the steps I took to generate the volume mesh.

• File > Merge > “filename.stl”
  • Geometry → Elementary entities → Add → New → Volume, click on the surface to build the volume, press ‘e’ to end and ‘q’ to abort
  • Mesh → 3D

You will need to use an old version of Gmsh that supports version 3.0 of the med file format. I used V2.11.

You can see my public project with the imported mesh here.

Regards, Ben

3 Likes

Adding to the discussion: We’re working on support for volume-meshing STLs! But it won’t be in production until your project deadline, so @BenLewis’s approach is the way to go to get results fast!

Best,

David

Thank you so much for the replies.

I was able to obtain a STEP file format but it would not upload to Simscale for some reason…
Wondering if you could please help me upload this file. This is a link to the file:

If this doesn’t work I would consider using Gmesh, though I am not sure how to use it and predefine faces for FEA as mentioned.

Sincerely,

Craig

So it turns out that the CAD software that I was using to convert from STL to STEP was not doing it properly for some reason. I used another CAD software to do the conversion and was able to upload the STEP file after all…
Thanks Everyone!

4 Likes

Hey @cmartis!

Glad that it worked for you. Can you please mention the software you used before and after? This will help us to track the problem more efficiently as they are many CAD software out there and its really hard to get each ones output working.

Best,
Ahmed

Hi @cmartis
I’m glad you were able to solve the issue. I’m also curious to know with which CAD software it finally worked :slight_smile:
Thanks
Hannes

The STL file was originally stored on my Autodesk Fusion 360 online drive. Initially, I was downloading it directly from that folder in a STEP format. This process did not really convert it to a usable STEP file.

Based on instructions from another online post (https://grabcad.com/questions/how-do-i-convert-stl-graphics-to-a-solid-model) from the fourth answer down, I downloaded FreeCAD and opened the STL and converted the mesh to a part as instructed and exported it in a STEP format. It has uploaded and looks fairly accurate. I will see how it goes now that it is in Simscale…

Sincerely,

Craig

2 Likes

Hi Craig @cmartis,
thanks a lot for the info, that’s very helpful for us.
Did you know that SimScale offers a free plugin for Autodesk Fusion 360 in the Autodesk App store? If you’re working with Fusion it might be helpful because it allows you to upload your geometries directly to SimScale. Feel free to check it out and let us know what you think.
Hannes

1 Like

Hi @cmartis, Thanks for you posting your problem, I am encounting a same problem with you. I really want to know which softeare you have use to convert your STL model to STEP format. I have been always expecting your answer. Thank you. Sincerely!

Hello xhuang,

I used the following method:

I[quote=“cmartis, post:9, topic:52987, full:true”]
The STL file was originally stored on my Autodesk Fusion 360 online drive. Initially, I was downloading it directly from that folder in a STEP format. This process did not really convert it to a usable STEP file.

Based on instructions from another online post (https://grabcad.com/questions/how-do-i-convert-stl-graphics-to-a-solid-model) from the fourth answer down, I downloaded FreeCAD and opened the STL and converted the mesh to a part as instructed and exported it in a STEP format. It has uploaded and looks fairly accurate. I will see how it goes now that it is in Simscale…

Sincerely,

Craig
[/quote]

Hi @dheiny,
Does this STL-Volume meshing feature added to Simscale.

HI

I would like to create triangular mesh for attached stl file. How can do that? Any tools or open source available?
Looking forward your reply. can’t able to attach stl file here. i am sharing in dropbox. here is the link

Many Thanks

Hi There!

The CAD file you have uploaded is not opening on my system and it’s showing that the file is damaged.

Thanks
Ani

Hi Thanks for your response.

How can i convert /Generate mesh from 3D stl file. Any documentation/Tools helpful for me.

Many Thanks