Conjugate Heat Transfer

Hi everyone,

I have a problem to validation my project. I want to know heat transfer between two medium. In my case the shellside mass flow rate is 0,7316 kg/s and the reynold number is 17700. The tubeside mass flow rate is 0,0386 kg/s and the reynold number is 500. Is my project valid if I run the simulation in turbulent model “LAMINAR” ? Thank you very much if anyone can help me to solve my problem.

That is my project link.

Best regards,
Kuncoro

Hi!

With the current set up, I belive you should go for an approach with turbulence. Generally speaking, heat exchangers already have a tendency of being quite turbulent. For the sake of comparison, turbulence intensity levels for an airplane simulation would be around 1%. For a heat exchanger, it’s 5-10% or even beyond, depending on the geometry.

So, unless the velocity is very well controlled (for example, here) you should definitely have turbulence on.

Cheers

Hi @Ricardopg,

Thank you very much for your response. I get some information from there. I see the project from Sjetsu and the velocity is very well 1 m/s and maybe the flow is Laminar in the geometry. From the comparison I think will more accurately if I run the simulation with turbulent model not “Laminar” but “K-Omega SST or K-epsilon” because the flow type in my project in the tubeside is Laminar and shellside is Turbulent.

Cheers,
Kuncoro