CFD simulation for rotating propeller

Hi Darren

Thanks for the mesh but I’m having trouble uploading the file.
Any ideas?

Hi Melissa, I would recommend using the setup as a basis only and adjust it to your need, the example isn’t what I would call simulation ready simply a good working starting point.

That said I would expect a mesh downloaded and reuploaded from SimScale to not have an issue, I’ll look into it and raise a ticket if necessary.

Kind regards,
Darren

Hi Melissa, just following up on this. After downloading the mesh I left it as a zip and reuploaded it with the OpenFOAM format and it all worked no issue.

Maybe you unzipped it or specified a different format?

Kind regards,
Darren

Hi Darren,

I was physically there to observe Msheu uploading the mesh. It really didn’t seem to work. Could you make the file available for me to try out again in person with Msheu?

Also just to check the file is it a geometry or is it a completed mesh?

Regards,
Barry

I’m really sorry I went and did a project clear out (I had a lot of projects) and this was one I deleted.

So she didn’t copy the setup at all?

Cheers,
Darren

Hi Darren,

Cluttered project dashboards are always an eye sore :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure she did and I have spoken with her. So far she has just provided me with what seems to be a geometry not a completed mesh. She said that was from you so I’m quite confused at this point.

All I did was re-mesh with settings that prevented undesired behavior. It was my intention for her to use it as a starting point for her mesh. Download and re-upload shouldn’t have been required.

Cheers Barry!

Hi Darren,

Ah I see. Alright Darren thanks!

Regards,
Barry

Hi Darren

Where do I go to input the speed at which the propeller blades turn? Like for example I have to do it for 3 different RPMs- 3000, 4500, 7500. Could it be under ‘boundary conditions’?

Melissa

Hi Melissa (@msheu)!

First of all sorry for the delayed response! Attached you will see where to define the rotation speed of the propeller. Note that the speed is given at [rad/s] so you would have to convert your numbers [rpm] first.

Hope that helps!

Jousef

Hi @jousefm

I’ve defined the rotation speed of the propeller in rad/s and have followed what you’ve said earlier but unfortunately I’ve encountered this error message

Any ideas?

Melissa

I’ve specified a non-zero value under custom boundary conditions for the velocity in the x-direction but I still received the Floating Point Exception error message.

Hi @msheu!

Can you share the project with us please? Having a look at it then. You already looked at the documentation page for the error, right?

Link: SimScale Documentation | Online Simulation Software | SimScale

Cheers!

Jousef

Hi @jousefm

Yes, I looked at the documentation page regarding the error. Here’s the link to my project:https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=4390718115295170910#tab_1-0

Thanks
Melissa

Having a look at it asap @msheu!

Please also refer to the excellent post from @jprobst regarding this issue: Most Popular Errors of Simulation - #3 by jprobst

Best,

Jousef

1 Like

Hi @jousefm

Thanks for the insight. I’ve rectified the issue :slight_smile:

Melissa

1 Like

Great @msheu! :slight_smile:

Can you tell us what you fixed to make it work in the end?

Best,

Jousef

Hi @jousefm

Before that, I didn’t define the rotation axis which gave rise to the floating point and solver log errors.

Melissa

1 Like

Hi @jousefm

I can’t seem to figure out the error in my simulation: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=4390718115295170910#tab_1-0

Bascially, I am simulating a rotating propeller at certain rpms. However, I’ve been trying to find out what went wrong but to no avail. I suspect its the creation of a rotating zone under the MRF or AMI option.

Melissa

Hi Melissa (@msheu)!

Please name the simulations you encounter problems with as it gets harder to figure out where to look for the error with increasing number of runs. Saves us some time :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Jousef