CFD Radiator Fin - Mesh

Hi
I am trying to do this mesh on SimScale
wanted mesh

I tried “Hex-dominant automatic” but could not do the boundary layers.
I tried “Tet-dominant”, I was able to do it but it made a warning before simulation run (Warning: The mesh contains more than one volume. This analysis type may yield unexpected results in this case. Proceed with care.) and there is an error in running the simulation.
Although the simulation ran successfully for the hex dominant mesh. The geometry and setup are the same only the mesh is different.
Any idea how to do this mesh on SimScale?
The simulation is for air flow through radiator fin.

Hi @MarwanEssam and thanks for reaching out to us!

Either the @power_users or me will have a look at it and get back to you as soon as possible!

Cheers and all the best!

Jousef

Additional information on the project of @MarwanEssam :

It is an external flow and the geometry he is trying to mesh is the air domain through the fin.

So the water flows from left to right in the tubes and the air passes perpendicular to the page through the fins. This is similar to his case except that the fins in his case are straight not corrugated as depicted below:

st fin

The aim is to obtain the pressure drop through a single fin.

Best,

Jousef

Source:

• M. Carl, D. Guy, B. Leyendecker, A. Miller, and X. Fan - THE THEORETICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION OF THE HEAT TRANSFER PROCESS OF AN AUTOMOBILE RADIATOR

Hi @MarwanEssam,

So I have a project here with a mesh setup that works using the parametric meshing:

The issue here was that minimum cell volume was set too high to allow layers to be created, this cannot be controlled in automatic meshing but can be in parametric. I turned the check off, and it meshed perfectly.

Those boundaries on the far left and right I didn’t put layers on because if they are feeding into each other and not as a no-slip wall then they don’t need layers.

Hope this helps,
Darren

3 Likes

And BTW would be very interested if you would share the results after :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the help :smiley:
I will make sure to share to share the results when I finish