Can't upload Geometry

Unfortunately I am still facing the same problem.

I also have the same problem now.
In case upload from my folder occur error code 500.
In case import from OnShape data, model was imported but can’t identified in geometry…

Hi @RGarcia, @ytohi,

sorry for any interruption of your work. The back-end team is looking into it as I write. Will get back to you shortly.

Best,

David

Hey everyone!

I’m Anatol and responsible for what we call Platform Engineering at SimScale - that is, everything related to the platfom that underlies SimScale: data storage, executing jobs, getting data from and to your browser etc.

We recently replaced a critical part of our system, the long-term storage of customer data, with a new component that will allow us to scale pretty much indefinitely in terms of storage. We tested that component for several weeks on several development systems, but obviously some issues that are now appearing at the scale of our production system were not found by those tests. This is why uploads were failing and currently are again.

Yesterday, we thought we had a workaround for what is happening to uploads, but it seems like that was not enough. We will be working on a proper fix and let you know once we are confident we have found and properly fixed the issue. Until then, we can resolve the issue temporarily whenever it arises, and will do so (I just did that and it works again).

Best,
Anatol

No Problem. Yall do great work.

Thanks for the kind words!

Actually already on Friday, we released something that should make this more stable, and so far it’s looking good. We will continue to improve this part of the system however (not just stability, but also speed).

Thanks again for the patience - and letting us know when something doesn’t work! This is important to us.

Anatol

Sorry Anatol, unfortunately I’m now getting this back from the server when trying to upload a step file:

… Unsuccessful server response code of: 500

Tried .step files that were previously fine to upload and getting same error.

Since server-maintance a few hours ago, I’ve the same problem. I can’t upload new .step files or old files that already worked.

Hello @twagner and @Jonathan_QX,

thank you for reporting this, we are aware of the issue. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will keep you updated!

Best Alex

Hey everyone!

Sorry this happened again - it was the same component, behaving badly in a different way than before. We could resolve the problem again temporarily (around 2:45 PM CEST/8:45 AM EDT), but another root-cause fix will be required.

We will improve our monitoring of this component to detect this failure mode, too, and let you know as soon as we are convinced we have a permanent solution.

Geometry upload is not working.

I have tried numerous times. I’ve tried creating a new project and I’ve tried with geometry I know has worked in the past.

Hi @BenLewis,

the issue is being looked into as I write. I’m very sorry for the lost productivity right now - I’ll get back to you asap with a status update.

Best,

David

@BenLewis,

the problem has been identified + fixed. Everything works normal again and you can continue simulating. I’m sorry for the lost time - we’ll follow up shortly with more information on what happened and how it will be prevented moving forward.

Best,

David

Unfortunately same problem here: IGES/STEP just error out (but STL uploads just fine)

Keep us posted on the progress towards a solution

cheers

Martin

Hi @MCube78,

this issue has been resolved a long time ago - currently there is no known general issue about the CAD upload mechanism, so it could be a specific incompatibility with your specific model. From which CAD system are you exporting the STEP model?

Best,

David

Hi David, funny I saw April 16 and thought “ha ok I’m not the only one…!” but clearly misread the date format… :-/

To answer your question:
i. I use paraview to generate STLs from VTK data
ii. use FreeCAD to turn them into STEP or IGER [and that’s where the problem is – indeed for a 40M STL I now see that I’m getting only a few kb files].

All of this because when I import STLs straight into simscale it says that meshing is not supported for STL formats. If there is another way to go from STL to mesh usable for FEM please do point me the right way (I am a complete and total newb in total darkness – but I think I could learn a lot from being able to carry out a project with these tools, so…)

Cheers

Martin

Hi @dheiny

I hope you are doing well.

I’m actually experiencing the same issue in uploading any file format (IGS, STP, …etc).
I actually exported the file formats from ETABs 2013 into IGS and STP.

Can you please guide me with this issue?

Regards
Anas Cherkaoui

hello sir can i upload from autocad to simscale

Hi @ofadodun!

The following file formats are allowed:

You can directly import your part files from SolidWorks, Autodesk Inventor and Rhino. It is also possible to upload assemblies in compressed archives (*.zip, *.tar.gz). Stop exporting and start simulating! Find a list of the supported file extensions below:

• STEP
  • IGES
  • STL
  • *.sldprt SolidWorks part
  • *.sldasm SolidWorks assembly (in compressed archive)
  • *.ipt Autodesk Inventor part
  • *.iam Autodesk Inventor assembly (in compressed archive)
  • *.3dm Rhino part

So if you are able to convert it into one of those formats there should be no problem! Let us know how things go!

Best,

Jousef

7 posts were split to a new topic: Geometry Upload Problems