'BaseMount' simulation project by tpawlak

I created a new simulation project called 'BaseMount':

Try assembly.

More of my public projects can be found here.

Hey @tpawlak!

Nice analysis! I have some points to make your awesome analysis more awesome :wink: :smile:

1. I am not sure about what you expect from this analysis and what you are looking for, but to me it seems like that the applied boundary conditions are not enough. In reality the base mount is fixed to the ground, the bolts only play a role to restrict the horizontal motion of the plate i.e. horizontal forces that might occur due to horizontal motions of the load. Whereas the vertical force from a load on base mount is mostly carried by the ground e.g. concrete on which the base mount is mounted. In your case, the bolts are only fixed in all directions from bottom whereas considering that they are tightened in to the floor makes there sides to be restricted. On the other hand, due to the fixation of the base mount on floor, the base plate lower portion should also be constrained in vertical direction i.e. y direction in your case. This will make this analysis more realistic I think.

2. Your applied pressure according to your model size seems quite small. Which results in a very small deformation. To test properly the loading capacity of your model, you can increase your pressure let’s say 100 times to see the deformed state. For now I have to scale your model by 10000000 times to see the deformation. See picture below:

The highest value of displacement in legend also shows that the deformation is quite small.

1. Since your model and applied load is symmetric, you can cut it to 1/4 th and apply symmetric boundary conditions to have the same effect as for the full model. By doing this, your mesh size will become ~ 1/4 and therefore reduce time of computation. How to apply symmetry boundary condition, please have a look at this project in which the x symmetry is applied to the sides of the model since it was symmetric on the other side.

2. After considering the quarter model, you can also try meshing it with second order elements which will give much better results.

If you have any further question/s, feel free to ask. Happy simulating!

-Ahmed