"An Error Occured" during Simulation of Rotor

Hi there,

I am new to CFD Simulations. I build a rotor which is driven by an electric motor. I should rotates with 900 rpm (5400 °/s). Now I want to calculate the needed motor torque to drive the rotor at this speed in normal air.

The Simulation throws “An Error Occured”. I have no Idea what the problem is.
Link to Sim: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=3199086411148467340&mi=run%3A25%2Csimulation%3A14&mt=SIMULATION_RUN

Can you help me to simulate correctly and without errors?
Thanks!
Cedric

Hi Cedric!

In order to rotate your geometry you need to “enclose” your rotating object in a cylinder which will then be used for the so called MRF approach (more info in the documentation). Once that has been done you can also increase the bounding box domain to make sure the boundaries do not influence your flow behavior in a negative way (blocking etc.). CFD Squad, feel free to jump in in case you see some other flaws in the setup!

Best,

Jousef

Hi Jousef,

many thanks for your fast reply. After some reading in your Documentation I understand how to setup the simulation correctly. Now the simulation get me the same results as in reality.

It takes me some time to find the Tutorial for this, because the link under Tutorials is broken i think: Rotating Zones | Advanced Concepts | SimScale
It will be helpful if you can fix this.

I have one more question about the rotation: Is it possible to see the true rotation position in results window? It seems for me that the rotor doesn’t move between steps, but the air is flowing around!?

Thanks,
Cedric

Hi Cedric,

Thanks for the heads up, just forwarded it and should be fixed soon. Actually no, but there is a way to represent a rotation in Paraview, planned to do a tutorial on this in the near future, hope I can work on that soon :slight_smile:

Best,

Jousef