Airborne covid virus simulation in a gymnasium

I have a client with a 5,000 sq ft x 25 ft tall athletic training facility (ninja warrior).

We would like to modify the HVAC / Air Filtration to reduce exposure to respiration by other gym occupants.

We are currently exploring strategic placement of 2000 cfm electrostatic filters.

I stumbled across SimScale and the Fume Extraction simulation articles and wonder if I could get some answers with it, dispite my lack of experience with CAE.

My assumptions are…
I will be able to model a space and project movement of respiration output based on existing and proposed fan/filter equipment?

I will be able to simulate a plume event (a sneeze) and track it’s speed and trajectory. I would then be able to draw a conclusion about how many breaths someone may inhale as the plume passes by.

If those are generally valid assumptions, has this been done?

How steep it the curve to get a simple space ( big box with hvac equipment here and there) to start from?

FYI: these thoughts come from learning that it takes more than 1,000 viral particles to overload ones healthy immune system, so re-breathing infected air is to be avoided. And HEPA and Electrostatic filter can remove 97 - 99% of the particles.

Thoughts?

Hi @rforee!

Do you have a geometry you want to work with already uploaded? Fan & Filter equipment can be modeled - depends on what you want to achieve but it is possible.

Example project for thermal comfort in a theatre just to give you an impression:

Sneeze can also be simulated (also up to a certain extend), example project: Sneeze Simulation in an Airplane Cabin by kristina | SimScale - if you think about the particle simulation you see (a lot) on social media, that’s not possible in that manner just to be realistic here.

Best,

Jousef

Thanks Jousef,

It looks like I would have to dedicate allot of time to build a useful model.

Where can I find a small project contractor to do this for me?

Thanks.

I will write you an email @rforee!

Best,

Jousef